11 May 2014

A Sunday Stroll

Dear All,

Happy Mother's Day! I hope your day is going well and that you are able to enjoy going outside for a spell. 

I can hardly believe I have just been here for a week. It is drag-and-fly time, I suppose. The days are long and the weeks are short. Anyway, we had church this morning. It was interesting to note that singing in french seems a lot easier than trying to speak it (maybe because nobody can hear you!). The church has been very friendly. They all seem like a big family together.

For one of the songs we all held hands - which was a first for me, at least in church that is. After the service, which started at 10:15, they cleared out the sanctuary and turned it into a dining hall for lunch. Lunch concluded around 15:45. It was a potluck, which was very well engineered so there was little chaos. 

We had the main meal, then cheese and bread, then dessert and coffee. The food is very good and I have been trying so many different kinds of cheese that I am running out of hands on which to count them. I sat with a girl I met last week who knew English because she worked in London for a year.  

You can imagine how tired you feel after a long service and delightful lunch, so I was able to take a little rest and then decided to head out for a walk. It was not until I was halfway down our street that I noticed dark clouds gathering in the distance. There is something so alive about the wind before a storm - like you want to take it all in. 

I took a few photos to show you what the surroundings are like. There is a beautiful town, a walking path and park near the river, and some quaint houses. Few stores are open on Sunday so that is why there is a deficiency of people in these. There was thunder and a good downpour for the last few minutes of my walk, but, as I am beginning to learn here the weather changes swiftly. Not fifteen minutes after getting soaked, the sun was brightly shining with hardly any clouds in the sky. 

If you would like to listen to a thoughtful song, here is one that I have really enjoyed these past few days. 

Hope you are well!

bjl





1 comment:

  1. Um, wow! What a quintessential "old country" place! And you're living there right now!!! I'm loving your blog posts. Keep them coming! Glad you had a restful Sunday. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete