08 May 2014

Narnia and Friends

Hello All,

What is new with you?

We are pretty well settled here in France. I think that it is going to be a season filled with learning and adventure. During this summer, I am responsible for helping the two older kids with their studies.

One of our last subjects to complete each day is Dictation. Typically, I read a chapter of a book, pick a sentence for them to write down, then we correct spelling and grammatical errors, and sometimes, discuss the themes and meanings of the given sentence.

We have just finished reading aloud The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I am quite intrigued by the fact that every time I read it there are so many things that come alive or make an impression that had not previously. This particular day I had them write down a sentence about Aslan when he was about to die.

"...for now that the first shock was over the shorn face of Aslan looked to her braver, and more beautiful, and more patient than ever." (Lewis, 168)


This sentence led to a good discussion about how people can look several different ways at one time and how it is possible (in most circumstances) to read how people are feeling or what they are like, based on their face. We then tried to play the "Face Game" with several different emotions at one time. I am being educated as to what sorts of games young creative people play these days!

The "Face Game" (for those of you who don't know) is when one person is "it" and they say an emotion, i.e. happy, sad, angry, pouty, ect. and then count to ten and when they look around the room, they are to chose the person who makes the most fitting face for that emotion. I find that you really have to conjure up memories where you felt those emotions in order to execute them fairly well (although there is a good amount of imagination that also is convenient). We found it amusing to try and combine emotions. You should try it sometime!

Anyway, yesterday, we were looking at photos on my iPad and there is one of a very good friend of mine. They all wanted to see it again and give their opinion as to what they thought she was like and not surprisingly, they were fairly accurate (give the picture is a very good depiction of her personality). What do you think? How would describe this type of person?


They said that she looked, fun, adventurous, and the eldest girl said that she wanted to look like her when she grew up!

The kids decided that it would be interesting to try and attach three words to how I looked (at that given time). Oh kids, they are funny sometimes. Apparently my face looked kind, loving, and sad. Who knew? :)

Hope you are well!

best,
bjl



3 comments:

  1. Wonder if Miss Annalise has ever met Pippi Longstocking!

    What a good teacher you are! Reading from Narnia is a treat. What fun for the kids to be able to learn Dictation. I think Charlotte Mason's method of teaching was similar in that she suggested Reading a Portion Aloud - then seeing how much a student could remember - and write it down. Or something like that. Sounds like you have some clever kiddos on your hands. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had tears in my eyes when I read this post! I wish I could be with you, but reading it from you is the best thing I can do... Keep posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Diction class. It seems like such a good idea. Isn't reading aloud one of the joys of life??

    ReplyDelete